Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Archives » The Chaos War Archives » Defending Silver Creek

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Silver Creek
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:03 pm 

Nuij watched the others working as they tried to rebuild her home village that had been nearly destroyed in the Marmo occupation of Kanon, as she worked to finish painting the trim on the outside of a recently rebuilt tavern.

"These times have been trying but we'll pull through." She mentioned to a larger man beside her, trying to make small talk. Getting a response from him she continued working.

"Yeah, we've survived this long. You never told me what happened to your father, how he died. But then it seems it always was a touchy subject, he was a great man I just never expected to find out he died."

Sighing she gave a light nod and kept on working, memories of her family depressed her and she hated that.

Nakira Tan'kari (Vampire Hunt) - Profile - Gallery
Rylan (The Golden Egg) - Profile - Gallery
Thiana (Hunt for Kiran) - Profile - Gallery
Tornalin "Bloodscar" Stoneshard (Building an Empire at Sea) - Profile - Gallery
Ultarik Grimeye (New Marmo Republic/A New Balance) - Profile - Gallery

Post subject: Re: Silver Creek
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:04 pm 
Z's Account

Ciprian sat on the roof of a newly constructed house, working on the thatching. He was definitely no thatcher, but everyone who wanted to give aid had to learn these skills. He was in nothing but his pants, even in the cool autumn air. The whole day he had been working hard and that breeze was more than welcome on his bare back.

Already the town was looking better for the week they had been working. The only tavern in the town was just getting the finishing touches of paint. Houses had been rebuilt, the temple to Marfa was just waiting for the priests to arrive and sanctify it. The villagers said it had been a temple to Kardis during the war. They had lost a number of people to human sacrifices. Ciprian wanted to destroy it and build a new temple, but an emissary from Tarba was very adamant that the priests could cleanse it.

"Knight," The priestess had said from the back of her horse. "Kanon was retaken by the forces in the name of Falis, Marfa and Myrii. Did they destroy what was left? You're not rebuilding from the ground up, why should we? It would only mean that Kardis beat us. We will take it back."

Ciprian's mind had changed after that, and a small smile touched his lips remembering her words. Perhaps it was a better idea to salvage it than destroy it, and prove they could do it.

Cip wiped his brow with his arm, then continued nailing a thick strip of wood onto the roof. The undead were still a problem, at night you could hear their moans as they tried to climb the ramparts. That had been the first thing to go up. It wasn't a pretty addition, but essential. The children were terrified at first, they could hardly sleep at night and their crying could be heard across the village. They were starting to toughen though, getting used to the sound, though they still had nightmares.

Up on the hill out of town, a funeral pyre still smoldered where they burned all their dead. Old men and women who had been so stressed by recent events, their hearts decided to give out on them. Two stillborn babies had been added, as well as family dogs that were killed by the dead and even a horse. They used to bury the dead on the hill, but now the graves were empty, their occupants roaming freely.

"Hey Cip!" one of his fellow knights called from the ground. No one called him Ciprian except officials and superiors. "Almost done? We're going to celebrate the re-opening of the tavern!"

Cip smiled a little. "Almost."

Scars heal, glory fades
And all we're left with are the memories made
Pain hurts, but only for a minute
Life is short so go on and live it
'Cause the chicks dig it

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:04 pm 

Nuij then just finished the last coat of paint and stood back, looking at her fathers old friend who ran the place she smiled. "Now you need to hang that new sign, just make sure you don't hurt your back. Father told me how you'd always hurt it hanging signs."

"Yeah, and he always was the one to cause it so he's no angel himself." The innkeeper joked as he walked up the ladder and hung the sign up, watching from afar she stepped into the newly rebuilt in and could smell the new wood and food being prepared in the kitchen. "You did alright lass, now can ye tell me what happened to him? Just so I know."

She then sat in a chair to rest and sighed. "Killed by the same demons that hurt me... That do for ya?" She replied as she looked down at the floor, knowing that she would not ever be the same again. The innkeeper patter her shoulder as he gave a simple reply. "Aye, you need not say more." Then he disappeared behind the bar as she waited for the reopening, some funds from her own shop went into this place and it looked good.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:05 pm 
Z's Account

Ciprian put his hammer in the loop of the work belt he had borrowed and slipped off the roof, landing quietly on the sod ground. He leaned back, hands on his back and stretched, hearing a few vertabrae pop as he did. It felt good. The fall breeze picked up and blew across his bare skin, making him shiver. He quickly picked up his shirt and pulled it on. He buttoned it all the way and wrapped his arms around himself.

"There, finally done?" His friend said, peeking around a corner of the house. He'd been cleaning under his nails with a knife.

Cip ran a hand through his hair and nodded. "Yeah," he murmured in reply.

His friend grinned and sheathed his knife. "C'mon," he said and led Cip to the tavern. Cip followed, rubbing his arms from the cold.

The two knights, out of armor, entered the tavern and looked around with satisfied nods. They had done a good job restoring it. Cip looked at the few people inside, the owner, a couple of local girls as barmaids. Unlike in the bigger cities, they wore genuine smiles. A few of the local men had claimed a corner and were sipping on mugs of ale, looking forward to getting drunk. Cip noticed a half-elven girl—half-DARK elf—by the bar. To a Valisian and a holy knight, Dark elves were the enemy. He seemed a little contemptuous at first, but she must be a decent person if she was helping out. Besides, he'd heard from the villagers that dark elves could be rough on human women, which sometimes resulted in a half-breed child. Perhaps she was one of those.

Cip's contempt disappeared and instead he offered her his usual honest, charming smile and nothing more.

Scars heal, glory fades
'Cause the chicks dig it

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:09 pm 

Nuij looked at the Knight who smiled at her as she nodded politely, sipping her wine she studied the saber and sighed. Recalling her father she wondered what he would be say knowing she survived this well.

"I don't think we've met, I am Nuij Velg'larn and you are sir knight?" She then waited for a response as she returned his courtesy with a polite reply and light nod.

Z's Account

Ciprian grinned. Even if she was half-dark elf, she was pretty. It was always good to find friendly pretty girls. He bowed to her, in knightly fashion. "My name is Ciprian, my lady."

"Better know as Cip," his friend added with a wink. "I'm Kale," he said, and instead of bowing, he offered to shake her hand. He wouldn't stick around long to get to know her though, Kale was more interested in joining the men over in the corner and having a jolly old time.

Scars heal, glory fades
'Cause the chicks dig it

Seeing Kale come over and wink made Nuij cringe and remembered her time in slavery as she looked to Ciprian and returned his kind gesture. "An honor too meet you, my father was a knight himself just it's still hard to remember him and my mother, don't ask." She tried to hide the pain in her eyes at the memories as she shut them for a moment and blocked out the memory, which the demons made her witness as they tried to rape her in that awful cell but failed.

"Sorry, I just had one of my moments. I don't like to remember them much nowadays." She then offered Ciprian a seat as she took a drink of her wine, the innkeeper walking over and refilling her goblet with a worried look on his face.

"She not be one to talk of her past, all even she e'er say about it even to an ol' friend of her fathers is not much. She be a kind girl, I'd not be takin' her silence as mistrust." He then went and returned to the counter as people filed in, and the noise level got louder.

Z's Account

Ciprian's eyes roved over Nuij's face as she cringed. Kale didn't seem to notice, he was never that intuitive. Kale slapped Cip on the back, then wandered further back into the tavern where the other drunks were. Cip could hear a call of "Hey!"

His attention was on Nuij though. Her father was a knight? Then her mother must have been a dark elf. But was her father a knight of Marmo? No, not with the way the bar keep spoke about him. Maybe a knight of Kanon...Well, that didn't matter, the girl was in pain. Cip wanted to ask about her parents, but it didn't seem as if she was willing to talk, yet. Maybe if they got to know each other better. Cip offered her another charming smile. "Well, let's have a seat," Cip extended his hand to a table. "I take it you're a native of this village?"

Scars heal, glory fades
'Cause the chicks dig it

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:10 pm 

Nuij stood up and followed him to the table as she sat down and replied, choosing her words wisely so she did not reveal too much. "I am not sure how to put it, but this is my home for all I can remember, I grew up here but did spend some time on the road. I don't talk of them much because it hurts too much, they were murdered." She then sipped her wine as she waited for him to sit down, he was handsome and one of the first she felt she could possibly trust.

Cian wiped a bit of sweat from his brow, as he entered the tavern. Kanon was in far worse shape than he'd heard, still after traveling for days he was exhausted. He'd spent most of his wares just for food and a few rumbles from his small stomach, let him know it's displeasure at being empty. There was a respectable amount of people here, mostly drinking and few eating. He moved through the tavern attempting to go unnoticed, someone had to have a money pouch that he could lift. He hated to do so, blatantly, but he was starving. It was then he spotted a couple at a table, a blondish haired warrior and an elf? He'd only seen fair folk, in passing from a distance before and then only once. He'd have to be careful, they had strange magics. Moving as smoothly as he could he made his way towards the table, hoping that if he passed by quickly enough he might get a better look at where a hanging money pouch might be. Hhmmnn, they're all wrapped up in their talk, now might be a good time.

Cian Tremas (Cian's Quest) - Profile - Gallery
Lanir (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Phaeton Sky-Eyes (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Thangroth Broadarm (Trials of the Half-Elven) - Profile - Gallery

Z's Account

Cip slipped into his seat and ordered a bottle of wine for them both from one of the smiling barmaids. He smiled to the maid, but not like he had to Nuij, he held back now out of respect for his company.

The little she revealed was sad, and Ciprian felt sorrow for her loss. "I'm sorry to hear that," he said. "I lost my father while I was training to be a knight," he commented, trying to relate. He was oblivious to the boy sneaking up behind him, Ciprian's attention was on Nuij.

Scars heal, glory fades
'Cause the chicks dig it

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:11 pm 

Cian moved slowly and surely, the warrior's attention was focused completely on his companion. Trying not to breathe hard, Cian reached out for the warrior's coin pouch. Unfortunately, while he was quiet and his fingers quick his stomach let out a very loud growl. Cian bit his lower lip and nearly froze. By the gods, not now!! Stomach be quiet!! Cian knew that if the warrior didn't hear that he was deaf, and the elf had to have, he readied himself to flee.

Cian Tremas (Cian's Quest) - Profile - Gallery
Lanir (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Phaeton Sky-Eyes (Search for Azala) - Profile - Gallery
Thangroth Broadarm (Trials of the Half-Elven) - Profile - Gallery

The boy sneaking up behind Cip Nuij noticed and in an instant the saber was pointed at him. "You were going for his money pouch were you not? Now I don't want to see you doing it again, if I catch you a second time the guard will be called. Move along."

Her voice had a sharp edge to it as she re-sheathed the dwarven steel saber and turned her attention back to Cip, making sure the boy left the tavern under her steely gaze.

"A long story, and a past I am trying to recover from. He was a good man, formerly a knight of Flaim. Died several years back, my name is literally translated into Fiend Assassin. The monsters called me that..." She then smiled at the memories and pondered about him, her father would have approved of him and would have wanted her to move on. "I just never really expected anyone to even try to understand, I just don't say much because the circumstances of the past would make many cringe. I apologize if I dodge some questions, I just don't want to remember."

She slowly sipped her wine, perhaps she could trust Cip and finally free herself from the shadow she still lived under. Her blue-gray eyes met with his every so often, the shadows that covered them seeming to melt a bit looking into his gentle gaze.

Z's Account

Cip heard a small rumbling behind him, but before he even had the chance to look, Nuij had drawn her saber—which made Cip start—and pointed it passed him. Cip turned and looked to a dark haired boy who was paused in the act of reaching for his purse. Such a young boy, maybe between eleven and thirteen. He wasn't a local, Cip had been here for a few days and had most of the faces in this tiny village memorized. This boy had to be a wanderer. Cip felt instant sorrow for whatever circumstances led to him becoming a thief.

The boy was out the door before Cip was able to say anything to him. And then, as if nothing happened, Nuij continued talking. Cip watched her for a moment, then glanced to the door and back to her. He hardly absorbed what she said, though he tried. Her eyes were starting to soften, it seemed, regarding him in a warmer light. Maybe had had succeeded in charming her, but he couldn't help worrying about that boy at the moment.

Finally, he shook it off and continued his conversation. "Well...uh, I try to listen to people's stories whenever I can. Sometimes it does a person good to tell another."

Scars heal, glory fades
'Cause the chicks dig it

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:12 pm 

Nuij considered this, perhaps her progression was hindered by her silence. She then swallowed as she spoke soft enough for only Cip to hear. "I'd call them my dark years, just that they're why I seem mistrustful of most. I learned the art of making poisons and anti toxins from my mom, she was a dark elf. I was about twenty then, and we were headed to Marmo for a delivery, on the island we were attacked. Demons took us prisoner, killed my parents before...." She then closed her eyes and focused for a second, as the memories brought her back there. "I saw them get killed and for six months they used me as a scullery slave, one day I tried to escape and almost succeeded. I made it as far as the exit, with my fists and saber as my only weapon and took several out. After that they trained me for an assassin, tried to corrupt me but after two years I escaped and returned home. Since then I've become somewhat of a demon hunter when one shows itself, I just want to redeem myself for the past and know what truly living is like."

She then sighed as she sipped her wine, now one man knew who she was and time for her to ask. His gentle mannerisms, considerate nature made her see why her mother fell for him. She wanted to think about it though, but she was starting to see something in him.

"More about yourself, I don't like remembering that three years. You seem like someone who actually will listen, I guarded myself with silence, and perhaps admitting it happened will help."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Archives » The Chaos War Archives » Defending Silver Creek