Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Archives » The Chaos War Archives » Alni & Katela's Journey

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Village of Dunnroot
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:52 pm 
Z's Account

Following Katela's blood scent, Phaelle led Alni and David to the small village of Dunroot just outside the Silent Swamp in the deep of night. It didn't have an inn or tavern to it's name, only a few small houses and huts gathered just outside the swamp. The villagers were superstitious and prone to fear anything new and different to them. Sorcery, elves, dwarves. Falis forbid they ever saw a centaur. Two dark skinned women with pointy ears definately drew unwanted attention.

The three travelers entered the town limit, which was now marked by a rampart build of mud, hay sticks and whatever rubbish they could use to pile it higher. Since the dead had begun to walk the earth, sentries--aka, farm boys--stood guard along wall. In the light of the torches they had burning at their stations, they could see the long elven ears on Phaelle and Alni. Eager to protect their village, they rushed out to the gate, one with a pitchfork for a weapon, the other with a rusted old spear that probably belonged to his grandfather. "Who goes here!" the one with the spear called.

Alni stopped in her tracks. "We're just passing through," she said meekly.

"We don't want none of your magic sort in our town!" the boy with the pitchfork spat.
"Git!"

Alni scowled. "Damnit! We're trying to..."

"Sid, they've got dark skin..." Pitchfork Boy said.

"Aye, must be DARK elves!" Sid replied. "Just leave us in peace, or we'll wake the whole village to chase you out!"

Alni stamped her foot. "How else do we get in the swamp then! This is the only road in!"

"We don't care, git outta here ya dark scum!" Pitchfork Boy hissed.

A girl with permanent tears
Born without a family
Born without a name
All she ever wanted
Was to wipe her tears away

Post subject: Re: Village of Dunnroot
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:53 pm 

Phaelle stepped to Alni's side and lay her fingers lightly on the half-elf's shoulder. "Let me handle it." the vampire whispered and then she walked closer to the boys.
Sid raised the old spear and edged toward his pitchfork toting friend. The scrawny dark elves should have gone away! but if they got any closer! "Git p-pointy ears!" the boy stammered, "or we'll really run you off!"

Phaelle bent down slightly to meet the boys at eye level. "I think you will let us pass, quietly." Phaelle said, her voice low and compelling. "We are following a group of horsemen that came by. They had a friend of ours with them, captured." Her eyes swept both of them in as she tried weaving a compulsion. "You can guide us through the village and no one would be the wiser... or we could force are way through. Your choice is simple : lead us through and stay safe... or force us to kill you all so we can get on our way." She shrugged, as if the weight of her words did not bother her too much. She then giggled lightly and smiled at them. "So, what will it be?"

The teenage boys felt compelled to help the elves, though they wouldn't understand why. The dark elf talking to them was pretty, they admitted to themselves. Elf or not, she was a lady and in need of help was their reasoning. "Um...right this way," Sid said and opened the gate, made of small logs tied together with twine. The town was tiny and it would take only moments for them to make it to the other gate if they rushed.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:54 pm 
Z's Account

Alni looked at the other gate across town. "Well, cover your ears Phaelle," she said and pulled up her hood. Alni dashed forward to the other gate.

Born without a family
Born without a name
All she ever wanted

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:55 pm 

The threesome reached the other gate, Phaelle cupping her ears with her hands. Not that it did much besides amuse herself. Once they were clear and that the boys closed the wooden portal behind their passage. They went further ahead. Once the town was out of sight, the vampire turned to her companions: "Yes. They definitely came this way. Katela's bloodscent is getting stronger." Phaelle stiffled a yawn with the back of her hand and continued : "We should be able to catch up with them. Question is, do we have any plan for when we get there?"

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:55 pm 
David was thankful that there was no violent confrontation between the group and the townsfolk. The threesome needed to save as much energy as possible to continue the journey, and for the fight ahead.

"It will definatly be a hostage situation. If we're spotted, they'll threaten to kill her. I've seen this happen a few times. In my opinion, the safest way through this is to somehow get Katela out of their grasp first and foremost, and then worry about the riders. There is a small problem though, for this to work, she needs to be conscious. We will most likely be out-numbered, I don't think we would be able to keep her out of harm's way if she were to be unconscious." He explained, offering his opinion. His freelance work gave him the opportunity to experience the situation first hand.

"Any other ideas?" He asked, not wanting to sound like he was taking charge.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:56 pm 
Z's Account

Alni considered the plans, and she considered that sneaking around would be the most likely course of action. The bandits in the woods mentioned there was a safe house here, and Alni wondered how big it was, and how they would go about getting to it. Would it be guarded? She heard the swamp was treacherous too, with many dangerous beasts. And since it was night, they would undoubtedly run into something. Alni's felt a weight in her stomach.

Born without a family
Born without a name
All she ever wanted

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:56 pm 

Phaelle let out a soft sigh. "Well, if Katela is unconscious at the time, I can always summon a Leprecaun to work up either confuse them or make them sleep... or at least part of that." the petite vampire lady said. "however... I have a problem..." Phaelle looked in the eyes of her two companions. She sighed again. "I am a vampire. I am faster, stronger and more resistant then either of you. However... like mortals, I have to feed."

Phaelle turned around. She did not want to see their reactions. She had a pretty good idea of the stares she was getting. "I'm thirsty. Very thirsty. I came this far with you because I've been alone for a long while... and I want companions - friends. I haven't known you for long - but I still want to care for you." Phaelle raised her hands, making a cupping motion with them.

"You saw how I kill. I'm the first one to loathe what I am. No one should become a vampire. Vampires are evil. My soul is far from being white as snow. To tell you... honestly... I'm scared! Scared of succumbing to the evil within. Scared of satisfying every hunger... every yearning I have. Scared that what I'd become would not want to save Katela." Her hands clenched to fists, Phaelle turned back to her companions, her expression bleak. "I need your help." she whispered.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:57 pm 
Z's Account

Alni looked up curiously and saw how serious Phaelle was. She frowned, not in distaste, but more because of the weight Phaelle's words held. She trusted her, but she knew very little about vampires. Alni listened on, enraptured.

For a moment, Alni was silent, considering what Phaelle had said about being scared. "I'll help you," Alni said softly, looking up into Phaelle's eyes. "What do you need? I can find an animal for you to feed off, if you're too tired."

Born without a family
Born without a name
All she ever wanted

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:58 pm 

The vampire shook her head. "We don't have time for that. We need to keep going to reach Katela. And I'm not even considering asking for a taste of your blood. The would require more trust and faith than even I would have if I were in your shoes."

Phaelle's eyes widened, aghast. "What was I saying?!" she moaned, her hands fisting her long pale gray hair, "I can't believe I even came close to actually asking!" Her hands came down to grip her amulet. The slender fingers closed around the sharp edges for the steel-framework around the opal stone, gripping it as if desperately drawing strength from it.

Is this what Kali Ma had in mind for us? the dark elf vampire railed in her mind. To feed off warmbloods? To hunger constantly for them when being in their company? What was I trying to inspire here? Pity? I don't even deserve it! She shook her head. "No, no, no... I can't ask that. Don't bother with me. Just don't. I-I can bear with the thirst. I c-can. Let's go!"

Phaelle turned, her ragged garment fluttering in her urgency, and shuffled on, following the scent. In her thirst, she had an easy time to focus on Katela's scent. Tracking her would be easy......however, not drinking the half-elf's blood, whom she had been yearning for the past hours, would prove to be far more difficult.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:58 pm 
Z's Account

Alni's jaw dropped when she realized Phaelle nearly asked to feed off her. The vampire stalked off down the road. "Wait, Phaelle, this swamp is dangerous!" Alni said, staying where she stood. "We can't just walk in beat up and tired. We will definately be attacked in here."

Born without a family
Born without a name
All she ever wanted

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:59 pm 

Phaelle halted in her tracks. She stood poised for a second, forcing her reason her momentary panic. She took in a deep breath (more of habit than of any real need) and turned around. After shuffling back to the two others, Phaelle looked at both of them. She flinged her hands up, exasperated. "Well then, what should we do?" she whispered, "Wait until dawn? What about Katela in the meantime? I can tear apart anything that comes to us in the swamp."

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:12 pm 
Z's Account

Alni didn't want to wait to save Katela, but the truth was, they were tired, exhausted and beaten. Alni had the bite on her thigh that was getting sore and likely infected. David had a gash on the back of his head that could get infected too. Especially in the dank swamp. Phaelle was hungry and weakened. Alni sighed and scuffed her foot in the muddy soil. "Phaelle, we can't go on like this. You're weak. My wound hurts, I think it's infected. And look at David's head! I think we should try and find a healer before we go any further. They...they want to sell Katela as a slave. They wont hurt her any worse than she has been, she's worth too much. The bandits said there was a safe house in the swamp. They wouldn't risk traveling through here at night either. "

Born without a family
Born without a name
All she ever wanted

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:13 pm 

The vampire considered Alni's words. It does make sense. she grudgingly admitted to herself. David, while being stalwart and all, was swaying on his feet. Alni was starting to have a noticable limp and she herself had considerable trouble concentrating. "Alright." she whispered, "I think we can settle for the night in a tree house I saw just before the swamp starts. Children from that village undoubtedly go there to play, but it should be servicable enough for us to use."

She started to walk ahead to lad the rest of the group where she had spotted the tree house, but then stopped to stiffle a yawn. Phaelle turned around and mentioned: "Oh, and hunting for something that we could feed upon might be a nice idea after all. Unless you'd both fancy eating the village's children!" The diminutive vampire apparently found something in her last statement quite funny and snickered in self-deprecating humor.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:13 pm 
Z's Account

Alni wasn't sure to laugh at Phaelle's joke, or be offended. Vampire humor. "Well, I don't know if their parents would even let them play these days. We might have it all to ourselves," she said with a smile. "Hey David...maybe tomorrow you can go to the village and see if they have a priest or someone who can heal us."

Born without a family
Born without a name
All she ever wanted

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:14 pm 
David had his attention to the swamp that was ahead. He listened in to what was going on, but both his attention and his body faced the swamp. He turned around to the group again once Alni mentioned his head. It wasn't all that bad, as long as his mind was on something other than the wound, it was something he could ignore. Sleep... finally... He thought. Normally he would oppose the idea of resting on the job, but this time he wasn't travelling alone.

David turned his attention to Alni who spoke to him. He nodded softly, agreeing to go.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Archives » The Chaos War Archives » Alni & Katela's Journey