Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Archives » The Chaos War Archives » Alni & Katela's Journey

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Village of Dunnroot
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:14 pm 

Phaelle led them to the tree house she mentioned. It was a small, unimpressive affair. While old and battered, it was only a short way to the town, just out of sight due to the surrounding trees. The vampire helped her two friends up into the building. She looked over the suspended structure and smiled. It must have seen two or more human generations. Unfortunate that the current times left it abandonned.

Once her friends had made it up safely, Phaelle climbed herself. The interior was darkened and cramped, being designed for children, but it would still keep them safe for the night. No predators or undead could reach this high, and the roof looked like it could hold off a storm. Her eyes danced to David's money pouch for a second, then she settled down to her knees.

"David, you might want to run an errand for us all tomorrow morning." she began, following Alni's idea. "You'll be able to see a healer and get a look at your head. While there, you could pick up some supplies for us. Bandages and clean water from their well to treat Alni's wounds and maybe buy a piglet. I'll drain it and it should be good for a meal afterwards."

She sent a look toward Alni. "Hunting at this hour might prove hazardous after all. Like you said, now would be a good idea to stop. And I can wait for the pig." she gave a small shrug and lay her back on a wooden beam.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:14 pm 
Z's Account

Alni settled into a corner of the tree house and stretched her wounded leg out in front of her. It was too dark to examine it, and summoning a spirit for light was just too much work. She leaned back against the wall and sighed. Last night about this time, she was sleeping up in a tree with Katela nearby and Tekara and David on the ground. She'd only known Phaelle for a day, but it was one hell of a long day.

A girl with permanent tears
Born without a family
Born without a name
All she ever wanted
Was to wipe her tears away

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:15 pm 
David layed down next to one of the four walls, after removing the scabbard from his waist. He set it down on the wooden floor, and took his position on the floor, belly down. He didn't want to irritate his head by sleeping on his back. He rested his two hands, one on top of the other, on the floor and slowly rested his head on it. His face faced the wall he was near, piercing it with his emerald eyes. He wasn't very happy, sleeping on the job and all, but he'd have to get used to it.

Post subject: Silent Swamp
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:31 pm 

Phaelle's red eyes pierced the darkness, watching over her companions. While her strength WAS waning of late since the last battles, she did not really need to rest. What she did need was nourishment and some time to think.

Katela's bloodscent still tickling her nose, she permitted herself a slight smile. There was no way she could forget the purpose that had led her where she was. She couldn't hear the call any longer, which set her adrift. The "call", that siren's song that had led her out of Chateau Noirceur, had been what had enticed her to go out.

Undead walked Lodoss... far more than what was normal. Would that have an effect on her? She didn't know.

Both Valis, Flaim and the Mirror Forest had been destroyed. Phaelle had no knowledge of what kind of city Valis had been... it had not even been built even back when she was alive. The same could be said for Flaim. However, the Mirror Forest was another matter entirely.

It was suprising that an evil could arise so suddenly annd deal such destruction. It went far beyond the scope of the destruction involved in the fall of Kastuul.

Where did she fit in all of that? Her only reason for being out was the call. Without the call to follow, she could easily just go back to the manor and sleep. Her eyes strayed to Alni's slumbering body. Phaelle closed her hands into fists.

Maybe it had been better when she had been sleeping. Her needs as a vampire were much more poignant when she was awake, even more when she had to expend energy. The Amulet of Everdark that hung to her neck gave her protection from the sunlight... but it only strengthened the vampire within her.

She thought back to when she had talked over her "problem" to Alni. That had been the Amulet speaking, she was sure. Or at least, the Amulet urging her vampire self to go beyond her reason.

The dark elven vampire closed her eyes. Her reason and willpower were the only things close to a soul she had. She clung to them desperately, not wanting to truly become the monster she knew a vampire would be.

Her memories of her time being a vampire, being a servant of another vampire had softened her. Was she evil? It would be folly to pretend darkness had no hold over her... and yet, she was here, in the treehouse, accompagnying a group of mortals - living warmbloods that to other vampire would have ended up as sustenance - into finding a friend in need.

No matter what reason she had in leaving Chateau Noirceur, this really was the reason she stayed by these people. Katela was in need of rescue. She seemed like someone whom would deserve to be rescued. After all, she had been the first one to welcome Phaelle in the little group. She also seemed to act like Alni's elder sister, though the two seemed as different as sun and moon.

She sent Alni a fond look. The half-dark elf was young, but she had enjoyed teaching her about the spirits. It had been only an inkling, of course, but it appealed to her elven self. She wanted to stay around and see how the child blossomed.

She had yet to gain a true measure of David. He was stalwart, complained little and keep his opinions to himself unless he was asked for them. He looked handy with his sword and his eyes did not seem to hold much of the arrogance skilled younger people seemed to have.

Tekara had died before she could get to know him. She shamefully admitted to herself that she hadn't cared a whit for him. He had been a dark elf... and she knew how harsh a dark elf's life could be. Yet -he died.

She let out a sigh and toyed with the frayed edges of her ripped garment. The black silken fabric was not the best thing to wear in a fight, and it showed. It was shredded over her upper torso, showing enough skin to be almost indecent if it were not that she wore a corset. She brushed the unblemished pale skin of her right shoulder, wondering... How long will I last? Can I hope for something in traveling with those people?
Blood was not a concern she would address before morning. It had not to be. If she was to travel with warmbloods, she needed to steel herself for the sacrifices she had to make. It would be, after all, much better than being alone.

These people would protect her from herself and the terrible darkness that stretched before her. Her sanity would hinge on them... but if she learned to live with herself - perhaps she would find a purpose...

...maybe even happiness.

Light edged in the treehouse's opening. Phaelle looked to the side and saw the sun rise, the buring gold disk cresting over the treeline. A sight little vampires got to see without paying for it.

A wistful sigh escaped her. Gradually, some activity began showing itself from Dunroot. Smoke escaped the chimney's as the townfolk prepared their breakfast.

All in all, she was glad to have spent the night thinking. It put things back into perspective and gave what she was doing meaning. Her hunger did not seem as great either. She uncurled from her sitting position and stretched out to touch David lightly. "David, wake up." she demanded softly. "It's daylight."

She bent over Alni and brushed her fingers through the half-elf's tangled hair. "Come on sleepy heads." she chuckled fondly. "We have to get those wounds treated."

Post subject: Re: Silent Swamp
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:37 pm 
David's eyes opened softly, awakened by the soft touch. It was the same wall that he was glaring at, distinguishing that fact after his eyes set focus. He rolled over and sat up, looking out the front of the treehouse to see the town. Now illuminated, he recalled having travelled here a year or two ago. He didn't stay for long, but he definatly remembered being here.

He sighed softly, the beginning of a new day. He looked back at Alni and Phaelle smiling. "I guess I should get to work, if you'll excuse me..." He said while grabbing his sheathed sword, crawling to the treehouse's opening. He hung his feet out of it's entrance, and fastened his scabbard back where it belonged, and began to climb down the tree. Once on the grass, he stretched out all of his limbs, and gave one final yawn before heading off into town.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:38 pm 

Phaelle peeked out from the treehouse and waved to David before he left. The dark elven vampire glanced back inside at Alni still half-asleep. Stroking her hair hadn't really helped waking her up, but Phaelle hadn't minded. She was fond of the half-elf and enjoyed taking care of her. She wondered for a moment if she should wake her up, but decided against it. She prefered, if possible, not feeding in front of her other companions.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:39 pm 
Once arriving into the outskirts of the small village, those who were up early cast him rude stares. He figured it was because they weren't too friendly with outsiders. He simply ignored them and went on with his business. Once near the village square, one of the guards that had stopped them last night came up to him. "Listen..." He began, "...you shouldn't be travelling with dark elves, they'll rip you apart when you least expect it"

David cut him off right there, and asked him "What do you have against dark elves anyway?"

"M'daddy was killed by a dark elf, since then, I don't trust 'em" He said.

David sighed and said "Look, I understand that. But you can't judge an entire race on one person. They are just like us. Some choose the path of evil, and some choose the opposite path. Continue talking like that to travellers, and you may be in for it. I've got things to do, so please, excuse me."

He continued on his way, back into the outskirts, to avoid the people, and to search for a market of some sort. He started wondering what Phaelle and Alni were doing while on his little search. He went as far as asking some of the townfolk where a market might be in this little village. Those he asked avoided him by saying they didn't have time to talk. He sighed softly while thinking, Jeez, everyone's so rude. I wonder what happened to make them distrust travelers?

He eventually found the market, a very small isle between houses were where the shops were set up. The market contained mostly fruits and vegetables, some home made goods, pots and pans and a whole variety of junk. No piglet, worse still, no animals of any sort. One of the shop owners asked him if he was looking for anything. "Actually, I'm looking for a place to buy a live animal, specifically a piglet" He told her.

"You might wanna try the Harper farm, just go that way." She pointed. He gave her his thanks and set off again.

David looked at the corn fields of the farm, walking around them, heading for the home next to the barn. A muscled worker with no shirt on that was tending to the crops stopped him. "Hey, who are you and why are you trespassing on our soil?" The worker asked him.

"Well, uh..." He stumbled before a loud rowdy voice interrupted them both. "Hey, be nice Bubba. The name's Charlie, I'm the owner of the farm, what can I do you for?" He asked with a piece of straw in his mouth.

He looked like a drunkard. "I'm looking for an animal to buy, specifically a piglet, you wouldn't happen to have one would you?" He asked the owner, he was clearly sober, but he looked the type to hang out at a bar and drink all night long.

"Today's your lucky day, Betsy gave birth a few weeks ago, come, I'll show you the litter" He said, as loud and as cheerful as ever.

The farmer took David into a barn where several livestock were keeping busy with what looked like their breakfast. Way into the barn, near the back, an indoor pig pen housed a mother and several of her babies whom were growing quickly for having been born a few weeks ago. After negotiating a price, David payed the farmer and left the premises with a caged piglet.

One down, two to go. At least the hardest part is over, He thought while quickly walking back to the market. He returned to the woman who gave him the directions. He made sure she would get his business, as she was one of the few friendly people in town. He bought a large bucket and bandage wrap from the kind lady and headed for the town square to get the water from the well. He had spent most of the money he had with him. He didn't mind though.

Once arriving at the well, David put down both the cage and the bandages. He pulled on the rope to lift the bucket from the bottom of the well. He layed his bucket on the stone rim and poured the well's water into the bucket, filling it reasonably high. He dropped the well's bucket back into the well, picked up both the cage and the bandages, along with the newly aquired bucket of water, and headed back to the tree house.

Arriving at the site, he set the items down on the ground and sighed as if great weights were lifted from his shoulders. "Do what you will with the piglet, I'm going to go back and see if I can get a healer of some sort in this miserable village. If I don't make it back in good time, save me some at least" He said with a grin, referring to the piglet, and headed off towards the town again.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:41 pm 

Phaelle vaulted out of the house and landed lightly on her feet. Inside the small wooden cage, the piglet snuffled around, confused. She walked to it and bent down to her knees, looking the creature over. Her eyes stared into the animal's and she used her powers to fascinate it. While keeping the piglet under a form of hypnosis, she opened the cage and gathered it in her arms. Her fingers gently stroked it's back, soothing it as much as she could before she sunk her fangs under it's neck.

Her teeth found the jugular and she began drinking her fill. She kept a firm hold on the piglet, intending to end it's life as efficiently as possible so to not cause it undue suffering. She was still elven, after all.

Gradually, the creature offered little resistance and eventually became limp. She stopped sucking the blood and waited a bit for the animal to recover, licking the bitemark. She felt for it's pulse on the other jugular and then turned it around to bite into the insides of it's leg.

She eventually managed to drain it of most of it's blood, doing a much thourougher job than a farmer bleeding an animal before cooking it could. The pig was montionless in her arms, quite dead.

Phaelle lay the pig down and waited. When the first twitch of undeath seized the piglet, she hands grasped one of it's forelegs and she gave a violent jerk. She heard tendons creak, bone snap, and the creature was still.

The vampire released it, leaning her head back with a relieved sigh. She felt worlds better. A bitter coppery after-taste lingered in her mouth. It was actually pretty bad, which was why Phaelle had done her best to drain it as efficiently as possible (though she liked thinking she did it for the animals's sake).

It's strange, really, that drinking an animal's blood isn't as fulfilling as drinking a sentient's blood. she mused, I wonder what makes the difference? Maybe the potential for magic? She shook her head. She had wondered before, asked the vampire whom turned her... and he had no more answers than she had. Perhaps only Kali Ma knew. She forcefully wrenched her thoughts away from the dead goddess and seized hold of the water bucket David had provided. Phaelle took one swallow, washing down the blood coating the insides of her mouth (not only did it remove the bitter after-taste, but it also got rid of the smell).

She lay it back, barely touched, and set on skinning the pig. She went up to borrow one of Alni's knives, and saw the half-elf still curled up. "Alni," she began as she took a eating knife out of Alni's backpack, "You have to wake up now. We need to check that wound of yours and I could use your help starting a fire."

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:41 pm 
Z's Account

Alni groaned as she opened her eyes. Her head felt like it was filled with nothing but blow-ball fluff. Her mouth was dry and her head hurt. And she felt chilled, though her skin was hot to the touch. The infection had gotten worse during the night.

Groggily, she sat up and wrapped her cloak tighter around her. Normally, she would have been up when David first left, no thief ever slept in and lived long. Alni's body was hard at work fighting off infection. Her leg felt stiff and swollen and she kept it stretched infront of her. "Phaelle..."Alni muttered, her voice raspy, "I'm sick."

Born without a family
Born without a name
All she ever wanted

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:43 pm 

Phaelle's features pinched in worry. It had been so long since she had last been exposed to disease that she actually had trouble understanding just how it felt to be sick. Still, it didn't make her feel any less compassionate about Alni's condition. She craddled the half-elf in her arms and floated down the treehouse. She settled her down comfortably between two roots and then began skinning the piglet.

"I don't quite remember how to deal with diseases. But I do remember a disease the dark elves of my tribe were wary of. Ghoul Fever." The knife sheared through the piglet thick skin as the vampire prepared it for cooking, "transmitted through claw or teeth marks... it's not a pretty disease." She was about to add that terminally ill victims usually died and became ghouls shortly afterwards... but Phaelle realized that saying that wouldn't be much comfort to her ill companion.

She spitted the pig and magicked up a cooking fire (with Salamander's help for expediency). While the meal would cook, Phaelle decided to tend to her younger charge. She grabbed the bucket and carefully poured the cold water over the wound, parting the clothing a bit to have a better idea of the swelling. David said he'd look for a healer, but I have to do something to - at least - not worsen her condition.

"Alni," she stared into the half-elf's eyes to get her attention, "Alni." Once she had eye contact, Phaelle used her compulsion power in an attempt to try to daze her.
"Don't worry. I'm going to clean your wound. You won't feel a thing. Just take deep breaths..." as she spoke, her fingernails scrapped of congealed blood and white pus out of the mouth of the wound. She quickly wiped her fingers and took the bucket to pour some more water on Alni's leg.

The wound was raw, but at least it was clean too. She unrolled some bandages and applied them around the thight, her knowledge of battlefield dressing slowly coming back to her. She secured the bandage and then looked up. "There, all done." she said, releasing Alni from her hypnosis, "I'm no healer, but at least now it's clean. I'm sure David will bring back news about a healer, don't you worry."

The petite vampire settled next to Alni after turning over the meat and cradled her in her arms, settling Alni's head on her shoulder. One hand stroked through the half-elf's darker hair gently.

"There, don't worry." Phaelle whispered, "I'll take care of you." She keep a careful watch on the meat, turning it from time to time over the low fire, ut always stayed close so Alni wouldn't feel alone.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:47 pm 
Z's Account

Alni was still very much conscious, she just felt utterly miserable. She snuggled close to Phaelle though, seeking her comfort like a small child would from her mother. Alni never had the privilege of such treatment when she actually was a child and now that she was nearly a grown woman, she had found mother figures in Zira, Mysa, and Phaelle now. Alni closed her eyes and drifted into a doze. Thoughts were drifting through her head; where was Zira? Was she safe? How have things worked out with her and Blaze? Was Blaze safe? Was Katela's family looking for them? Possibly. And was Katela well? Did she make the right choice in choosing to stop for the night? Thoughts faded to dreams.

Born without a family
Born without a name
All she ever wanted

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:48 pm 
A few minutes after returning to the camp, David found himself back in the town of Dunroot. The morning breeze made his hair flap over his eyes, if he walked with his eyes squinted and let his mind run off wherever it pleased, he'd probably be daydreaming about several tornadoes of sand in front of him, caught in the middle of a sandstorm. His mind however was on more important matters.

He asked people left and right for a healer in town, but everyone he had spoken to so far either avoided the question, or refused to talk about it. He found it quite odd, and very annoying. He tried to keep his cool, it was really frustrating repeating the same scenario over and over again. An elderly lady called out to him from her rocking chair. She seemed to have been watching him for awhile.

"Come here, what is it you wish to know? Most of us don't take kindly to strangers, but I for one am glad to see a new face every once and awhile" She said, offering a kind smile. "Yes... I can see that. Anyway, a friend and I ran into some trouble on the road, and if it's possible, we'd like to see a healer. Are there any avaliable?" He asked the kind woman, and noticed her kind smile break. "Well..." She began, "...there are no healers here in Dunroot. But if you still need the medical attention, there is a witch in the swamp that may be able to help. That is all I can tell you". "A witch... what is she like?" He asked, a little curious.

The old lady got up from her rocking chair and shuffled her way to the door. "I told you I don't know anything else. Don't bother me anymore" She said with a nasty attitude. What in the world was that all about? He asked himself in his mind. He figured it was enough information to relay back to his companions. He was pretty sure no one else in town would tell him anything.

He headed back to the camp once again. He would try and find this witch the old woman spoke of, but Alni seemed very reluctant to go into the swamp last night, so he thought it would be best to avoid the swamp for now.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:13 pm 

When David came back to camp, Phaelle had Alni laying her head on her lap, the vampire's hands busy with preparing the cooked meat with some cooking implement she found in her friend's pack. She handed David the meat she had prepared.

"Alni's very sick." she told him, somber faced. "I don't know if she'll be able to go on." she then shared her fears that Alni might be suffering from Ghoul Fever.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:14 pm 
David cursed under his breath. "This is going to be a problem then. Dunroot doesn't have a healer, but I've been told that there is a witch in the swamp that may be able to help. That's all I've been able to get from these miserable people" He said, obviously annoyed with the town and it's people. He sat down across Phaelle, with the fire in between them. He hugged his knees and watched the fire dance before him.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:16 pm 

Phaelle pondered the situation, her fingers stroking through Alni's dark hair. After considering her options, she gave David a measuring look. It's morning. We already waited too long. With Alni disabled, there's no way we can all go to the bandit's hiding place. I'd stay and care for her... but David, while being a good warrior, won't be able to track her scent in the swamp. She gestured to the meat she handed him. "Eat."

I could go and recover Katela. I shouldn't have too much trouble in doing so. Meanwhile, David could look for this healer. He seems like the dependable sort : I'm sure he can take care of Alni. She caressed the feverish girl one last time before laying her head on the ground. The vampire uncurled from her position, standing up, and stated at David. "You'll have to take care of Alni." she declared. "I must go rescue Katela. I could use your swordarm in that fight, but I'd much rather you try finding a way to find this heal and heal rather than destroy."

She edged away slightly, brushing her hands over her robe to flick away grass that sticked to it. "You've been generous so far, human. You've shared your money without asking anything in return this morning... and you've stuck this rescue without asking anything in return." She raised a finger towards him. "I want you to know that I noticed... and that it has been appreciated. If I can find anything of value at the bandits' safehouse, I'll make sure to repay the favor." Phaelle turned around and left, her form and shape shimmering for a moment and vanishing.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Archives » The Chaos War Archives » Alni & Katela's Journey